PIA District Lobbying Day
The 2012 DLD has already passed. Please join us in August 2013!
The web page below has been preserved as a resource for those who participated in 2012 and those who want to learn about this important advocacy program.
Participate on August 14, 2012
Welcome to the District Lobbying Day home page! While Members of Congress are back home in their districts for August recess, PIA is asking each PIA member to meet with their elected officials on or about August 14, 2012. Our goal is to mobilize as many PIA members as possible to have a conversation with their elected officials and/or staff members about issues facing the insurance industry.
Participation is easy! Just follow the simple steps below to set up your meeting. Interested in a PIA group meeting? Contact PIA's Julia Domagalski (email@example.com) for more information.
1. Contact your Representative and Senators to schedule a visit by following these simple steps:
- Click the Contact link above, then enter your Zip code
- Click the photo of your Representative/Senator and select the Contact tab on the following page
- Call the closest district office and tell the scheduler that you would like a brief meeting on our around August 14th to discuss a few insurance related issues
Feel free to direct them to this webpage if they want more information like our Issue Sheets below.
2. Register for the DLD after you've scheduled your visits to let us know that you are participating. It allows us to send you updates, personalized feedback forms & resources via email.
3. Review our Issue Sheets and talking points to prepare for the meeting (see below "Issues to Discuss").
4. Prepare for your visit(s) by reading our Tips for conducting successful congressional visits (PDF).
5. After your meetings, be sure to send a thank you note to each person you met with. Also, it is important for PIA to know how your meetings went bysubmitting your feedback electronically using the online District Lobbying Day Feedback Form.
Issues to Discuss
|Professional insurance agents in Louisiana participate in PIA District Lobbying Day (L to R): Kevin Woods, Rep. Rodney Alexander, Gene Galligan and Barry White. |
PIA is asking that you discuss 2-3 of the important issues below.
Issue Papers (PDF files)
Members of Congress rely heavily on the views of their constituency. Most will ask questions, so they can learn from no one better than you a professional insurance agent. Generally, these meetings are very laid back and last 20-30 minutes. But don't let that undervalue the incredible importance of what you're doing: forging a relationship with someone that votes on legislation that impacts the future of your business.
What if I can't meet with my elected officials on August 14th?
We realize that some PIA members won't be able to meet with their elected officials on District Lobbying Day itself, but hope each will find a day near District Lobbying Day to make these very important visits.
If you can’t schedule a meeting this month, please send your Member of Congress a pre-written, fully-editable letter.
Have a question? Please feel free to contact your PIA National staff at any time for assistance.
Julia Domagalski, Legislative Assistant